Saturday, September 21, 2013

Print Long into the Night


"Litho", for short, is ridiculous.
My reasoning behind this bold opinion:

>> We spend hours preparing the limestone to create a drawing surface
>> We then, measure out a very specific etch (Consisting of nitric acid and gum arabic) and work it into the stone in a very specific pattern to insure the image stays in the stone
>> Without missing a step, we are ready to print the image after hours of preparation

Now, it doesn't sound all that bad in my brief bullet list, but once you try it, you'll see.
Ooooh, will you see. Especially! if you embark on the treacherous journey of reductive work and color layers. Where you would print layers upon layers of colors, planning out the color choice to avoid an awkward palette for the end piece, working reductively into the image, and making sure the stone is perfectly registered for each layer to avoid blurred lines (in no reference to song...please and thank you). 

Apologies for the extensive rant, after these past couple weeks working on this one project, I've become a tad...unhinged


This print was indeed purposefully posted:
The printing lab is a communal lab and is open twenty-four/seven

>> Late nights-early mornings are a regular thing for print-makers <<



Project: Self Portrait

Totem
Eagle: Healing, intuitive and creative spirit, illumination of spirit
Dolphin: gentleness, resurrection, friendship, purity of the heart, playfulness
Coyote: playfulness, adaptability, inventiveness, transformation, resourcefulness
Deer: In touch with inner child, sensitive, gentleness, ability to move through life's obstacles gracefully
Myself: All the above + probably a couple more things.

The being of most importance is usually placed at the top of the totem.
At the bottom of the totem is usually where you would see a human because we are of least importance.
The totem is generally associated with shamanistic religions but that's not my reasoning behind using it as a depiction of myself for this self-portrait project.

I enjoy the concept of having the human represented with the least of importance because unique traits and characteristics are given to us to be shared with the world around us. 
When we humble ourselves, we are able to offer the people around us more than when we focus on our own needs and wants. 
I've found that living for a purpose bigger than myself is an undeniably remarkable way to use this life I've been given. 
The giving of myself (ie. time, energy, investment, etc) to those in need is far more rewarding than using this life attempting to fulfill my own desires at any cost.


Beginning of final sketch to realize that the dolphin, 
while fitting to my personality,
 does not fit so much in this composition...


Final Sketch


Second Layer
>> Blade reduction into asphaltum flat from first layer


What happens when too strong of an etch is used
The nitric acid to gum arabic ratio was too strong for my image
Causing me to re-grain my stone


Third Layer
>> Freshly grained stone
>> Entirely new asphaltum flat
>> Gum arabic used as stop-out


Color roll layout for third layer


Lithograph
"Self-Portrait"
Critique





Collagraph
"Courage"

DIY: Collagraph
>> Sketch outline of figure
>> Fill figure with ripped pieces of tape
>> Roll on ink and/or apply ink with a la pouppe 


Collagraph
"Foundation"

Layered rock wallpaper samples-rolled up with black ink
Micron


Critique







My artwork is an outlet for my heart, spirit and mind to visually journal the excitement and chaos that takes place in my life.


>> Everything has a purpose for being brought into existence <<











For any interest or inquiries about any of my work, please comment below or directly email me!








No comments:

Post a Comment