Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Intense. Like Camping.



Labor Day:
Celebration of the American labor movement in dedication to social and economic achievements of workers.
A yearly tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of their country.



Labor Day Weekend // Twenty-thirteen
As I briefly mentioned in last week's post, my long weekend was to consist of firewood, laughs, food and lots of unidentified insects...and it did.


OH!
And thanks to the magnificence of Stevie's motherly ways (although yet to be a mother),
1/3 of unnecessary items I was planning on bringing were removed from my bags.
 I guess I was incapable after all of following that simple check list from my last post.




A little over a decade ago was the last time I roughed it in the woods and honestly, all I remember was sleepless nights awaiting a mountain lion (back when I lived in California, so it's not much of an exaggeration this time!)
to rip open my tent just to find my appetizing self in the fetal position. 

And a decade later, not much has changed.
Except for the part about the mountain lion.
That'd be ridiculous. This is the Midwest folks.
Spiders, Coyotes, raccoon, wolves, and monsters are all we have to keep watch for in this region.
Yes, monsters included.




My fondest companions Kyndrick, Alexx, and Stevie
bright and early, first thing in the morning...meaning, around the crack of noon.




Decor.
Courtesy of Kyndrick's mushroom picking accompanied by Stevie and I's foliage gathering.



The first morning consisted of homemade banana pancakes you hear about in one of Jack Johnson's most popular hits and some good 'ol fashioned geode hunting






"Panacakes"- The proper pronunciation of "pancakes" according to Stevie Lynn.





 
Thanks to Mr. Hodson, we cracked open every
geode found and were left with a hatchet that has reached 
its time.


Also, he found us a turtle.




Kyndrick is blessed with really awesome gifts like,
being a jack of all trades first off, but also, finding things that no one else could find unless they gave their all as if their life was on the line.
I, however, am very much like Alexx, as we are the embodiment of Murphy's law.
So,
 after constructing a barricade around the turtle composed of stacked firewood, two large water packages, and a tarp duffle bag, I confidently left the area for less than ten minutes to find that the turtle had escaped.

Literally.



Not an original photo.
And yes, I failed to capture a close up of the stinkin' turtle because I thought it would be around longer than it was.



To top off losing a turtle within minutes, I was approached by one elderly Sheriff and surrounded by three law enforcement officers.

Explanation:
He thought I was a blonde-haired runaway.

Come to find out, I do not have blonde hair and last time I checked, I am not a fugitive.








After exploring the land and melting from the heat, us couples ventured around on row boats!











For your enjoyment, I present to you

Alexxander

with a mastery in spontaneous story-telling:









A Labor Day weekend well-spent indeed.











And to those monsters out there who dared to creep around my tent all night Sunday,
I would've torched you.












No comments:

Post a Comment